Chin Human Rights Organisation
Published: 6 Oct 2016
Contact Person: Victor Biak Lian, Board Member
Street Address: 2-Montavisata, Nepean, Ontario K2J 2L3
The Chin Human Rights Organisation (CHRO) is a non-governmental, non-profit advocacy organisation legally registered in Canada. It was formed in 1995 on the India-Burma border by a group of Chin activists committed to promoting democracy in Burma and raising international awareness of previously unreported human rights abuses being perpetrated against the Chin people by the Burmese military regime.
CHRO activities include:
- Documentation of violations of Human Rights in Western Burma and conducting necessary advocacy in that regard
- Making relevant reports about the situation depending on how important the need to response
- Human rights education to the people of China in Burma (see website for further information)
In terms of refugee work:
- Refugee protection (advocacy works for the local and central government to stop deportation in Mizoram, India)
- Providing humanitarian assistance to the vulnerable refugee families in India and Malaysia
- Providing financial assistance to the refugee children education
- Providing capacity training to refugee organisation.